More trains to cope unending rush to NE
New Delhi: As people from Northeast continue to flee cities like Bangalore and Pune, railways on Friday pressed another special train from the southern city, taking the number of specials leaving from there in the last 48 hours to five.
Three thousand people bought tickets for the Guwahati-bound special train which left at 3PM on Friday from Bangalore, railways said.
A senior railway official said more special trains could be pressed into service if the rush of outgoing passengers continues.
Since August 15 about 15,000 people have left for Guwahati from Bangalore in special trains, the official said.
Additional coaches were also attached in regular trains from Mumbai and Pune to accomodate extra passengers to Northeast.
Railway Minister Mukul Roy had yesterday said that they had informed both the Home Ministry as well as the PMO about the sudden spurt in booking of tickets to Guwahati since August 15, following which special trains were introduced.
"Generally, about 300 tickets are booked for Guwahati, which rose to 6000 in the last two days," he said.
On the other hand, Bangalore Divisional Manager Anil Kumar Agarwal today told PTI that Railways have sold around 20,000 extra tickets to Guwahati and added that ticket sales went upto to 4,000 till 4 PM today and was expected to rise by a few thousand more.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened