More trains to cope unending rush to NE
New Delhi: As people from Northeast continue to flee cities like Bangalore and Pune, railways on Friday pressed another special train from the southern city, taking the number of specials leaving from there in the last 48 hours to five.
Three thousand people bought tickets for the Guwahati-bound special train which left at 3PM on Friday from Bangalore, railways said.
A senior railway official said more special trains could be pressed into service if the rush of outgoing passengers continues.
Since August 15 about 15,000 people have left for Guwahati from Bangalore in special trains, the official said.
Additional coaches were also attached in regular trains from Mumbai and Pune to accomodate extra passengers to Northeast.
Railway Minister Mukul Roy had yesterday said that they had informed both the Home Ministry as well as the PMO about the sudden spurt in booking of tickets to Guwahati since August 15, following which special trains were introduced.
"Generally, about 300 tickets are booked for Guwahati, which rose to 6000 in the last two days," he said.
On the other hand, Bangalore Divisional Manager Anil Kumar Agarwal today told PTI that Railways have sold around 20,000 extra tickets to Guwahati and added that ticket sales went upto to 4,000 till 4 PM today and was expected to rise by a few thousand more.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch