Mountaineers awarded in Meghalaya
Itanagar: Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Nabam Tuki on Monday announced a cash award of Rs one lakh each to 13 members of the expedition which scaled 6488 metre Mt Gorichen, the highest peak of the eastern Himalayas.
The team led by Dr K Romeo Meetei successfully scaled the summit on October 9 after being flagged off from Itanagar by Governor General J J Singh on September 22.
Besides mountaineers from other states, the team included two women everesters from the state Anshu Jamsenpa and Tine Mena and ITBP inspector Lobsang Sherpa.
Dr Meetei ceremoniously handed over the flags of the expedition comprising the Indian Tricolor, Indian Mountaineering Foundation and the Arunachal Pradesh to the chief minister marking successful conclusion of the 26-day expedition.
The flag would be preserved at the state museum for posterity.
Congratulating the successful team, including 44 year old K N Damo, the Liaison Officer and Field Advisor of the expedition, who is the Deputy Resident Commissioner at Delhi of the state government, the chief minister hailed the conquest of the summit as historic, particularly for the state.
Tuki hoped that with success under their belts, the young mountaineers would inspire hundreds of youths in their home states to take up adventure sports in a big way.
Mentioning the upcoming National Institute of Mountaineering and Allied Sports at Dirang in West Kameng district, he said adventure sports and allied activities would receive a boost from it.
The chief minister also expressed concern over melting of glaciers in the Himalayas due to global warming and climate change.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown