MPC to support Sangma`s candidature
Aizawl: The Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC) on Wednesday announced that the party would support Purno A Sangma in the presidential elections on July 19.
MPC leaders said that they decided to vote for Sangma as he was a tribal from the north eastern region and also a Christian.
"It is high time that the country has a president from the scheduled tribe and also a Christian," they said after a meeting of the party high command led by Lalhmangaiha Sailo, the son of former chief minister Brig T Sailo.
The MPC has two legislators in the 40-member assembly. With each MLA having eight votes, the MPC has 16 votes.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India