MPP president, vice-president arrested
Imphal: Manipur People`s Party President
Nimaichand Luwang and Vice-President Sapam Dhananjoy, on
indefinite fast since June 7 demanding withdrawal of the
economic blockade on national highways, were arrested today,
police sources said.
The two were arrested on the charge of attempt to
commit suicide, the sources said.
MPP sources said three MPP leaders including the
president of the youth front Maniton Singh went on fast after
the arrest of the two.
They said they would continue the fast till the
economic blockade launched by the All Naga Students`
Association Manipur (ANSAM) was ended by the state government.
ANSAM had launched the blockade since April 12 to
protest elections to the autonomous district councils (ADCs)
in the hills which ended on June 2.
People of Manipur have been suffering due to shortage
of essential commodities because because of the blockade on
national highway 39 (Imphal-Dimapur) and 53 (Imphal-Jiribam).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'