MPP president, vice-president arrested
Imphal: Manipur People`s Party President
Nimaichand Luwang and Vice-President Sapam Dhananjoy, on
indefinite fast since June 7 demanding withdrawal of the
economic blockade on national highways, were arrested today,
police sources said.
The two were arrested on the charge of attempt to
commit suicide, the sources said.
MPP sources said three MPP leaders including the
president of the youth front Maniton Singh went on fast after
the arrest of the two.
They said they would continue the fast till the
economic blockade launched by the All Naga Students`
Association Manipur (ANSAM) was ended by the state government.
ANSAM had launched the blockade since April 12 to
protest elections to the autonomous district councils (ADCs)
in the hills which ended on June 2.
People of Manipur have been suffering due to shortage
of essential commodities because because of the blockade on
national highway 39 (Imphal-Dimapur) and 53 (Imphal-Jiribam).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'