Mukul Sangma an able CM, says Vincent Pala
Shillong: Amid rumblings within the ruling
Congress in Meghalaya, Union Minister of State for Water
Resources and Shillong MP Vincent Pala on Monday backed Chief
Minister Mukul Sangma, saying he is able and performing well.
Pala also underlined that limited ministerial berths
in small states is a reason for political instability, and
felt Constitution should be amended to address it.
"As far as fund utilisation is considered Mukul Sangma
has performed well as a Chief Minister. He has also been able
to get more fund allocation from the Centre," Pala said.
A section of MLAs within the ruling Congress, unhappy
at Mukul Sangma`s "autocratic way of functioning", are
demanding a change in leadership.
"I don`t know what the dissidents want. I have not
received any letter... nor have they met me. The matter will
be handled by the AICC," Pala said.
He said two AICC observers, Dhaniram Shandil and
Sanjay Bapna, who recently visited the state would be
submitting a report to the AICC.
"I heard some of the (dissident) MLAs have met AICC
leader Oscar Fernandes. But I have no idea what transpired in
the meeting," Pala said.
He, however, maintained that there were dissidents in
all parties, and the percentage in Congress was rather low
compared to others.
Blaming the restriction on cabinet berths as a major
reason for political instability in small states, Pala said he
and some other MPs of the Northeast recently met Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi
seeking an amendment in the Constitution.
The ministry size in states is now limited to 20
per cent of the total assembly seats.
"We wanted this to be increased to 30 per cent to
ensure stability in the states," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- From Kanpur to Varanasi in 10 days: 11-year-old Shraddha Shukla attempts 550 km swim in raging Ganga
- Doha airport brings in passenger tax
- Jason Gillespie to leave Yorkshire at end of season
- Myanmar holds unique position in India's neighbourhood, says PM Narendra Modi
- Bangladesh's Tamim Iqbal out for a month with fractured finger, to miss ODI series vs Afghanistan