Mukul Sangma govt wins no-confidence motion
Shillong: The Congress-led Mukul Sangma
government in Meghalaya on Wednesday won by 43-13 after a
no-confidence motion was moved by Opposition NCP amidst a high
drama on the fourth day of the autumn session.
During the trust vote, NCP faced an embarrassment when
one of its MLA`s deputy speaker Shanbor Shullai abstained from
demonstrating against the government.
Another NCP MLA Adolf L H Marak did not turn up for
the proceedings, bringing down the strength of the Opposition
from 15 to 14 in the 60-member House.
Independent MLA Manas Choudhury abstained from voting.
Despite the NCP insisting that the trust vote be
carried out through secret ballot, Speaker Charles Pyngrope,
in a departure from normal trend, decided to conduct the
voting through division (head count) and not through voice
Members from both the benches including Chief Minister
Mukul Sangma, Opposition Leader Conrad Sangma, former CMs P A
Sangma, D D Lapang, Donkupar Roy, deputy CMs B M Lanong, R
Lyngdoh and several others voiced counter arguments on the
mode of conducting the vote on the no-confidence motion,
before the Speaker`s ruling.
All the ruling alliance partners - 27 Congress MLAs,
nine from United Democratic Party (UDP), two from Hill State
People`s Democratic Party (HSPDP), one from Khyun Hynniewtrep
National Awakening Movement (KHNAM) and four independents -
voted in favour of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader