Mukul Sangma govt wins no-confidence motion
Shillong: The Congress-led Mukul Sangma
government in Meghalaya on Wednesday won by 43-13 after a
no-confidence motion was moved by Opposition NCP amidst a high
drama on the fourth day of the autumn session.
During the trust vote, NCP faced an embarrassment when
one of its MLA`s deputy speaker Shanbor Shullai abstained from
demonstrating against the government.
Another NCP MLA Adolf L H Marak did not turn up for
the proceedings, bringing down the strength of the Opposition
from 15 to 14 in the 60-member House.
Independent MLA Manas Choudhury abstained from voting.
Despite the NCP insisting that the trust vote be
carried out through secret ballot, Speaker Charles Pyngrope,
in a departure from normal trend, decided to conduct the
voting through division (head count) and not through voice
Members from both the benches including Chief Minister
Mukul Sangma, Opposition Leader Conrad Sangma, former CMs P A
Sangma, D D Lapang, Donkupar Roy, deputy CMs B M Lanong, R
Lyngdoh and several others voiced counter arguments on the
mode of conducting the vote on the no-confidence motion,
before the Speaker`s ruling.
All the ruling alliance partners - 27 Congress MLAs,
nine from United Democratic Party (UDP), two from Hill State
People`s Democratic Party (HSPDP), one from Khyun Hynniewtrep
National Awakening Movement (KHNAM) and four independents -
voted in favour of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'