Mukul Sangma govt wins no-confidence motion
Shillong: The Congress-led Mukul Sangma
government in Meghalaya on Wednesday won by 43-13 after a
no-confidence motion was moved by Opposition NCP amidst a high
drama on the fourth day of the autumn session.
During the trust vote, NCP faced an embarrassment when
one of its MLA`s deputy speaker Shanbor Shullai abstained from
demonstrating against the government.
Another NCP MLA Adolf L H Marak did not turn up for
the proceedings, bringing down the strength of the Opposition
from 15 to 14 in the 60-member House.
Independent MLA Manas Choudhury abstained from voting.
Despite the NCP insisting that the trust vote be
carried out through secret ballot, Speaker Charles Pyngrope,
in a departure from normal trend, decided to conduct the
voting through division (head count) and not through voice
Members from both the benches including Chief Minister
Mukul Sangma, Opposition Leader Conrad Sangma, former CMs P A
Sangma, D D Lapang, Donkupar Roy, deputy CMs B M Lanong, R
Lyngdoh and several others voiced counter arguments on the
mode of conducting the vote on the no-confidence motion,
before the Speaker`s ruling.
All the ruling alliance partners - 27 Congress MLAs,
nine from United Democratic Party (UDP), two from Hill State
People`s Democratic Party (HSPDP), one from Khyun Hynniewtrep
National Awakening Movement (KHNAM) and four independents -
voted in favour of the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened