Mukul Sangma sworn in as new Meghalaya CM
Shillong: Mukul Sangma was sworn in as the
22nd Chief Minister of Meghalaya on his 45th birthday on Tuesday, a
day after DD Lapang quit the top job capping a month-long
rebellion by a majority of the 28 Congress legislators.
BM Lanong, an MLA of the United Democratic Party (UDP),
a key ally of the Congress, was sworn in as deputy chief
minister. JA Lyngdoh (UDP) and independent AT Mondol were
also sworn in by Governor R S Mooshahary.
Sangma`s government would be the 22nd in the state in its
38 year history and the 11th in the last 10 years.
The month-long rebellion by Congress MLAs peaked on April
17 when Sangma and dissident Congress legislators rushed to
New Delhi with the claim that Lapang had lost majority.
The development came a day after 20 Congress MLAs in the
60-member House met at Sangma`s residence and pledged
"unconditional support" to him.
Will ensure stable government: Sangma
"My government would give special focus on the youth to realise their potential and also uplift the condition of the poor and infirm," Sangma said in his maiden press briefing after being sworn in Chief Minister.
"In a world whose future is being shaped with knowledge and with technology, our young men and women need to be equipped with all the tools of the modern world to enable them to compete and prosper," he said.
Stating that his government will make concrete efforts to improve the lives of the poor, Sangma said: "In the days to come the government will announce a comprehensive agenda of financial inclusiveness and economic empowerment for all."
On Meghalaya`s political instability, the Chief Minister said: "I share the concern with all of you with utmost sincerity, the need to ensure stability."
"This stability can be achieved only if we share the common objective of serving people with a sense of commitment, dedication and, most importantly, a sense of sacrifice," he said.
Sangma urged his cabinet colleagues and the bureaucracy to encourage and ensure transparency, responsiveness, sensitivity in work and display mature understanding.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- Watch: Turkish lawmakers exchange blows over 'changes' to Constitution
- Gold Monetisation Scheme mobilises 2.8 tonnes so far
- Kishore Biyani appointed as MD of Bharti Retail
- Now, Pakistan's spy agency ISI using 'mobile apps' to spy on Indian security forces?
- India rejects USCIRF report on intolerance, says Constitution guarantees right to freedom of religion