Mukul Sangma to stake claim to form govt in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma who led the Congress to win a record 29 seats in the 60-member House, though two short of a majority, will meet Governor R S Mooshahary tomorrow to stake claim to form the next government, party sources said on Thursday night.
The sources said that all successful party candidates have been asked to be present here by noon tomorrow.
AICC leader in-charge of Meghalaya Mukul Wasnik and AICC leader Sanjay Bhavna reached here to make preparations for the next government, they said.
The chief minister said, "Having won the battle is just one part of an achievement, but complete achievement is when being in power we can wipe out backwardness and poverty."
"Backwardness and poverty have been the issues for the people of the state and, therefore, became the priorities of the party," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth