Mukul Sangma to stake claim to form govt in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma who led the Congress to win a record 29 seats in the 60-member House, though two short of a majority, will meet Governor R S Mooshahary tomorrow to stake claim to form the next government, party sources said on Thursday night.
The sources said that all successful party candidates have been asked to be present here by noon tomorrow.
AICC leader in-charge of Meghalaya Mukul Wasnik and AICC leader Sanjay Bhavna reached here to make preparations for the next government, they said.
The chief minister said, "Having won the battle is just one part of an achievement, but complete achievement is when being in power we can wipe out backwardness and poverty."
"Backwardness and poverty have been the issues for the people of the state and, therefore, became the priorities of the party," he said.
- 54 crore Indians in grip of drought: Swaraj Abhiyan
- Justice Rastogi backs CJI Thakur's appeal to increase number of judges
- Delhi-Faizabad Express derails near Hapur; 70 injured, emergency number issued
- VVIP chopper deal probe: CBI to grill former-IAF chief SP Tyagi, his 2 brothers today; major set-back for Sonia Gandhi?
- Colombia deports top Peruvian crime lord