Mukul Sangma to stake claim to form govt in Meghalaya
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma who led the Congress to win a record 29 seats in the 60-member House, though two short of a majority, will meet Governor R S Mooshahary tomorrow to stake claim to form the next government, party sources said on Thursday night.
The sources said that all successful party candidates have been asked to be present here by noon tomorrow.
AICC leader in-charge of Meghalaya Mukul Wasnik and AICC leader Sanjay Bhavna reached here to make preparations for the next government, they said.
The chief minister said, "Having won the battle is just one part of an achievement, but complete achievement is when being in power we can wipe out backwardness and poverty."
"Backwardness and poverty have been the issues for the people of the state and, therefore, became the priorities of the party," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?