Mukul Sangma`s detractors hold closed-door meeting
Shillong: With AICC observers indicating
that the party was in no mood to change the CLP leadership in
Meghalaya, Chief Minister Mukul Sangma`s detractors has held a
closed-door meeting to decide on their future strategy.
A dozen legislators, including five cabinet ministers,
met at former chief minister D D Lapang`s residence on Tuesday
night to discuss the situation after the visit of AICC leaders
in-charge of Meghalaya Dhaniram Shandil and Sanjay Bapna,
Both the AICC leaders had ruled out change of the CLP
leader and said the rumblings in the state unit were "trivial
matters that could be sorted out within the party".
Unwilling to divulge the details of the meeting, Civil
Defence Minister Augustine Marak said, "We are improving our
numbers. The majority wants a change."
Asked if the rebel MLAs were happy with the visit of the
AICC observers, Marak said the high command should come down
and see the ground reality for themselves.
Besides Lapang, who the dissidents are projecting as
their leader, those present at the meeting were cabinet
ministers F W Momin, Prestone Tyngsong, F S Cajee, Augustine
Marak, Rowell Lyngdoh and MLAs Sayeedullah Nongrum, R V
Lyngdoh, M M Danggo, Saleng Sangma, Nehlang Lyngdoh and S W
Sources said a delegation of the dissident group will
visit New Delhi to air their grievances.
Earlier on Monday, the dissident MLAs had met Shandil and
Bapna to press their demand, citing their grievances.
The move to oust Mukul Sangma has been going on for a few
Sangma took over the reins after four-time chief minister
Lapang, who could not complete a full five-year term even
once, was forced to quit after a revolt in his party last
Sangma`s government is the 22nd government in the state
in 38 years since its inception in 1972.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror