Municipal polls will affect Meghalaya locals: Organisations
Shillong: Eleven organisations on Thursday said
the planned municipal elections in Meghalaya will affect the
In a joint representation to Chief Minister Mukul
Sangma, Joint Action Committee Against Municipality said the
municipal elections will "adversely affect the indigenous
The organisations sought cancellation of the elections
for Jowai Municipal Board scheduled to be held on February 15.
Reminding the protests that erupted after the
government tried to hold the elections in the four
municipalities of Garo hills last year, the committee urged
the government to abandon its plans to hold the civic polls in
Ever since statehood in 1972, Meghalaya has never
conducted civic polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'