Municipal polls will affect Meghalaya locals: Organisations
Shillong: Eleven organisations on Thursday said
the planned municipal elections in Meghalaya will affect the
In a joint representation to Chief Minister Mukul
Sangma, Joint Action Committee Against Municipality said the
municipal elections will "adversely affect the indigenous
The organisations sought cancellation of the elections
for Jowai Municipal Board scheduled to be held on February 15.
Reminding the protests that erupted after the
government tried to hold the elections in the four
municipalities of Garo hills last year, the committee urged
the government to abandon its plans to hold the civic polls in
Ever since statehood in 1972, Meghalaya has never
conducted civic polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: World's fastest helicopter that may revolutionise air travel!
- STOP IT! Why it's unfair to dub Angurlata Deka as Assam's 'Hot MLA'
- SHOCKING VIDEO: Argentine footballer dies after being struck in head
- Is this for real? Anushka Sharma – Virat Kohli spotted together with a fan – See pic
- Yes I am upset with Mika: Krushna Abhishek speaks on singer shooting for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'