Municipal polls will affect Meghalaya locals: Organisations
Shillong: Eleven organisations on Thursday said
the planned municipal elections in Meghalaya will affect the
In a joint representation to Chief Minister Mukul
Sangma, Joint Action Committee Against Municipality said the
municipal elections will "adversely affect the indigenous
The organisations sought cancellation of the elections
for Jowai Municipal Board scheduled to be held on February 15.
Reminding the protests that erupted after the
government tried to hold the elections in the four
municipalities of Garo hills last year, the committee urged
the government to abandon its plans to hold the civic polls in
Ever since statehood in 1972, Meghalaya has never
conducted civic polls.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- WATCH: Pakistan vs England, 3rd T20: Complete highlights
- Priyanka Chopra’s sex scene from ‘Quantico’ goes viral – Watch video