`Myanmar`s gas reserves can be tapped for NE`
Shillong: India should find ways to utilise Myanmar`s enormous gas reserves to feed the power-deficit states in the North East following the path of China`s Yunnan province, Meghalaya Governor RS Mooshahary said on Thursday.
Stating that Myanmar could be among the ten largest nations having huge gas reserves, Mooshahary said that India and North East in particular could utilise the gas for power generation.
"We do not have enough electricity. Despite our hydro potential, the energy generated is inadequate to meet our requirement," he said.
Quoting the US Energy Information Agency, he said a gas pipeline of less than 3,800 km was economical and the gas pipeline distance between Myanmar and NE was about 1,573 km.
"We can have pipeline instead of other means of transportation of gas which is going to benefit us and India would need to cough up about USD 2.3 billion for the project," he said.
He said: "We could visualise the same advantage something China`s Yunnan province had through trans-national gas pipelines. The province is a recipient of 36 percent of USD 605 billion trade between Myanmar and China."
"If it is done in the NE, transportation, trade, transit and tourism would benefit tremendously," he said adding that the benefit for the region was one of the most important aspects of the Look East Policy.
Earlier, former ambassador to South Korea SK Tayal advocated putting in place credible networks of border controls and custom check posts while strengthening routes towards more industrially advanced countries in the East.
He also said that targeted action would be required to catalyse changes in the production structures in the region keeping in view the market demands in ASEAN member countries.
Both the speakers were addressing an international seminar on `India`s Look East Policy and the NE Region: Strengthening the continental routes` here organised by the Ministry of External Affairs and the Ministry of Home Affairs along with the ICSSR and DoNER.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM