Nabam Tuki: From grassroot worker to Arunchal CM
Itanagar: Starting his political innings as a
grassroot worker, Nabam Tuki on Tuesday reached the pinnacle of his
political career as the seventh chief minister of the
sensitive border state of Arunachal Pradesh.
Tuki was first elected to the second legislative assembly
in 1995 from Sagalee constituency and served as the deputy
agriculture minister in the Gegong Apang ministry.
He also served as Transport and Civil Aviation minister
in 1988. Earlier, he was the IFCD minister in 1996.
He was re-elected to the assembly in 1999 from the same
constituency and became a cabinet minister with the
Environment and Forest portfolio in the Mukut Mithi ministry.
He was re-elected in the 2004 and 2009 assembly elections
and served as the PWD and urban Development minister under
the Apang and Khandu ministries.
Born on July 7, 1964 in remote Ompuli village in Sagalee
sub-division under Papum Pare district, Tuki is a graduate and
has seven children, including two sons.
He also served as state NSUI President (1983 to 1986) and
was Chairman, North East NSUI Coordination Committee (1984
to 1986). He was General Secretary, All India NSUI (1986 to
1988) and Arunachal Pradesh Youth Congress President (1988 to
Tuki also served as Vice Chairman, North Eastern Youth
Congress Coordination Committee (1988 to 1993) and as Working
President, North Eastern Youth Congress Coordination Committee
from 1993 to 1995.
An avid sports lover, Tuki is also the current president
of the Arunachal Cricket Association.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister