Nabam Tuki: From grassroot worker to Arunchal CM
Itanagar: Starting his political innings as a
grassroot worker, Nabam Tuki on Tuesday reached the pinnacle of his
political career as the seventh chief minister of the
sensitive border state of Arunachal Pradesh.
Tuki was first elected to the second legislative assembly
in 1995 from Sagalee constituency and served as the deputy
agriculture minister in the Gegong Apang ministry.
He also served as Transport and Civil Aviation minister
in 1988. Earlier, he was the IFCD minister in 1996.
He was re-elected to the assembly in 1999 from the same
constituency and became a cabinet minister with the
Environment and Forest portfolio in the Mukut Mithi ministry.
He was re-elected in the 2004 and 2009 assembly elections
and served as the PWD and urban Development minister under
the Apang and Khandu ministries.
Born on July 7, 1964 in remote Ompuli village in Sagalee
sub-division under Papum Pare district, Tuki is a graduate and
has seven children, including two sons.
He also served as state NSUI President (1983 to 1986) and
was Chairman, North East NSUI Coordination Committee (1984
to 1986). He was General Secretary, All India NSUI (1986 to
1988) and Arunachal Pradesh Youth Congress President (1988 to
Tuki also served as Vice Chairman, North Eastern Youth
Congress Coordination Committee (1988 to 1993) and as Working
President, North Eastern Youth Congress Coordination Committee
from 1993 to 1995.
An avid sports lover, Tuki is also the current president
of the Arunachal Cricket Association.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre