Naga body calls fresh economic blockade in Manipur
Imphal: Manipur is bracing for another round of scarcity of essential goods as the United Naga Council has called a 20-day economic blockade of the state`s two vital national highways starting Wednesday.
The UNC said the blockade would begin from six am Wednesday demanding lifting of Section 144 CrPC from some hill areas among others.
Only on June 18 a crippling 68-day economic blockade of the Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati highway (NH 39) and Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar highway (NH 53), called by the All-Naga Students Association, Manipur had ended. Official sources said all efforts would be made to make vehicles ply on the two arterial highways during the blockade.
Due to the earlier 68-day blockade, prices of almost all essential commodities are still ruling high in the market, official sources said. A cooking gas cylinder, which normally cost Rs 400, is being sold now at Rs 1600.
Similarly, onion is selling at Rs 30 per Kg, potato at Rs 30 and petrol at Rs 80 per litre in the black market. Political parties have strongly condemned the fresh blockade call, dubbing the move as an attempt to break up Manipur by creating communal tension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi