Naga body calls fresh economic blockade in Manipur
Imphal: Manipur is bracing for another round of scarcity of essential goods as the United Naga Council has called a 20-day economic blockade of the state`s two vital national highways starting Wednesday.
The UNC said the blockade would begin from six am Wednesday demanding lifting of Section 144 CrPC from some hill areas among others.
Only on June 18 a crippling 68-day economic blockade of the Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati highway (NH 39) and Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar highway (NH 53), called by the All-Naga Students Association, Manipur had ended. Official sources said all efforts would be made to make vehicles ply on the two arterial highways during the blockade.
Due to the earlier 68-day blockade, prices of almost all essential commodities are still ruling high in the market, official sources said. A cooking gas cylinder, which normally cost Rs 400, is being sold now at Rs 1600.
Similarly, onion is selling at Rs 30 per Kg, potato at Rs 30 and petrol at Rs 80 per litre in the black market. Political parties have strongly condemned the fresh blockade call, dubbing the move as an attempt to break up Manipur by creating communal tension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef