Naga body oppose govt`s action against economic blockade
Imphal: The United Naga Council (UNC) Wednesday demanded that the Manipur government should revoke the arrest warrant issued to the acting president of the All Naga Students Association Manipur (ANSAM) Davud Choro and UNC acting president Samson Remei.
"The government should revoke the arrest warrant on the UNC president within five days from June 5, the day the government declared Remei and Choro as wanted persons in
connection with the ongoing economic blockade on the two national highways in Manipur," a UNC statement issued here said.
The UNC, which supported the indefinite economic blockade on National Highway 39 (Imphal-Dimapur) and 53 (Imphal-Jiribam) launched by the ANSAM since April 12,
threatened to intensify the blockade if the arrest warrant was not revoked.
ANSAM had launched the economic blockade to protest elections to the autonomous district councils (ADC) in hills which concluded on June 2.
It had said the elections, held under the Autonomous District Councils Act 2008, would not solve the problems of the hill people, a charge denied by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi