Naga body oppose govt`s action against economic blockade
Imphal: The United Naga Council (UNC) Wednesday demanded that the Manipur government should revoke the arrest warrant issued to the acting president of the All Naga Students Association Manipur (ANSAM) Davud Choro and UNC acting president Samson Remei.
"The government should revoke the arrest warrant on the UNC president within five days from June 5, the day the government declared Remei and Choro as wanted persons in
connection with the ongoing economic blockade on the two national highways in Manipur," a UNC statement issued here said.
The UNC, which supported the indefinite economic blockade on National Highway 39 (Imphal-Dimapur) and 53 (Imphal-Jiribam) launched by the ANSAM since April 12,
threatened to intensify the blockade if the arrest warrant was not revoked.
ANSAM had launched the economic blockade to protest elections to the autonomous district councils (ADC) in hills which concluded on June 2.
It had said the elections, held under the Autonomous District Councils Act 2008, would not solve the problems of the hill people, a charge denied by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Shravan 2016: Today is the first Somwar - Know what you need to do
- Eight dead, 20 missing in Malaysia boat accident
- Sandeep Yadav – Narsingh Yadav's roommate, also fails doping test
- KSRTC, BMTC strike begins today; two-day holiday for schools declared
- Dinosaur species may shed new light on megaraptorids