Naga conflict: DAN govt pitches for early settlement
Kohima: Calling for concrete steps before the next assembly elections in Nagaland early next year the Political Affairs Committee (PAC) of DAN government has pitched for urgency in bringing about a negotiated political to the vexed Naga political conflict.
The PAC meeting held here yesterday undertook a number of resolutions concerning the Naga political issue, a release issued by PAC member secretary Z Lohe, received on Sunday said.
It said, "the PAC expresses the urgency of bringing a negotiated political settlement that is acceptable to the people in order to resolve the Naga political problem at the earliest and feels the need that steps and measures must be initiated for realization of the settlement before conduct of the next election to the Nagaland legislative assembly."
The PAC also urged the Joint Legislators? Forum (JLF) to act upon `the urgent need` for a political solution to the protracted conflict so that the Forum could take up initiatives and measures that would allow the negotiating parties to expedite the negotiation process resulting in `a
settlement that is acceptable to the people`.
Nagaland goes to poll in early next year as the tenure of present NPF-led DAN government ends in first week of March 2013.
At a recent function at its headquarters Camp Hebron, near Dimapur, NSCN(I-M) chairman Isak Chishi Swu expressed cautious optimism that a settlement to the protracted Naga political problem "is not far off".
Pointing out the negotiations between NSCN (I-M) and Government of India has entered 15 years, he said that both the parties were determined to work out an acceptable solution based on "the unique history and situation of the Nagas and an inter-dependent relationship".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- Daraya under govt control after last rebels evacuated: Syria Army
- West Indies vs India, 1st T20I: MS Dhoni & Co fall short by one run in world record run chase
- Belgian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg beats Max Verstappen to grab pole position
- EPL 2016-17, Gameweek 3: Saturday football — Chelsea take pole, Arsenal end winless run
- UPSC issues e-admit cards for NDA, NA exams 2016