Naga outfit calls off economic blockade in Manipur
Imphal: United Naga council (UNC), which had imposed a 96-hour economic blockade on national highways in Manipur from Monday midnight, on Tuesday called off the blockade with immediate effect, UNC sources said.
The sources claimed that the Centre had agreed to hold talks on the issue with the UNC on August 29, 30 or 31, according to the convenience of the Naga outfit.
A representative from the Manipur government was also likely to attend the meeting, the sources said.
The UNC had called the economic blockade to press their demand for an "alternative arrangement" for Nagas in Manipur as they wanted to "dissociate itself" from the Manipur government.
Official sources said buses and trucks with essential items were plying on the national highways with security escort vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men