Naga student activists damage 4 trucks of Assam Rifles convoy
Kohima: A group of youths pelted stones at four trucks, which were part of a convoy of security forces coming from Manipur, as the indefinite economic blockade continued at Mao by a Naga students` body.
Police said the incident took place in 5th Mile area on national highway 39 near Dimapur town last evening.
The attackers also set fire one of the vehicles but quick action by policemen prevented any damage.
Police said the trucks were engaged by Assam Rifles and were returning from Manipur after offloading goods.
No arrest has been made so far.
The Naga Students Federation (NSF), which imposed the indefinite blockade since May 4 protesting the police action at Mao inter-state gate, claimed it was behind the incident
and vowed to continue the agitation till their demands were met by the Manipur government.
Union Home Secretary GK Pillai had said in Shillong yesterday that the government would initiate action against the students if they did not immediately withdraw the
The blockade, on both the highways connecting Manipur, was meant to press for greater autonomy for the hill districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea applies for bail, says her medical condition 'deteriorating'