Nagaland Assembly Elections: Over 83.27% polling recorded
Kohima: Brisk polling was witnessed in Nagaland where 83.27% votes were polled on Saturday for 59 seats of the State Assembly amidst unprecedented security.
Polling has been adjourned in Tuensang sadar seat following the death of Congress candidate P Chuba Chang here yesterday.
Polling has been peaceful across the state so far, except for skirmishes among workers and supporters of various candidates as unprecedented security arrangements were made with a total 25,500 central paramilitary force personnel deployed for providing hundred per cent cover to the polling stations, Election Commission sources said.
They said the percentage would go up as long queues were seen in front of booths, especially in rural areas.
Nagaland Baptist Church Council and Election Commission had urged very voter to exercise their franchise.
Reports of late commencement of voting due to defective EVMs are being reported from Wokha and Mon districts.
Polling in Nagaland would end at 4 pm.
Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio exercised his franchise at his village Touphema in Northern Angami constituency, while state Congress president SI Jamir cast his vote at Dimapur-II.
Meanwhile, polling could not begin at Lahdoigar polling station of Tamlu Assembly constituency in Longleng district of the state due to alleged intervention of security personnel from Assam.
Longleng Superintendent of Police Rajashekaran told a news agency that Lahdoigar polling station I lies in the disputed area on the interstate borders between Assam and Nagaland.
He said though polling personnel had reached the polling station with voting machines this morning, Assam police did not allow any voter to exercise their franchise.
Longleng police and district administration had contacted their Assam counterpart to allow polling in the area, but Assam officials had not relented.
As per the Election Commission`s directive, Longleng Deputy Commissioner K Libanthung Lotha has left for Lahdoigar to make alternative arrangement for conduct of polls, Rajashekharan added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi