Nagaland business asso appeals for resolving boundary dispute
Kohima: An association of businesses of Nagaland on Saturday said it would be a blunder to destroy the `strong relation` between the people of the state and those of Assam because of the unresolved border issue and the recurrent spates of violence and aggression resulting out of it.
The Mokokchung Chamber of Commerce and Industries (MMCI) president Moasangba Jamir hoped that the current Nagaland-Assam border row will be resolved at the earliest and normalcy restored.
“Nagas and Ahoms have since time immemorial been living and coexisting as good neighbours and the bond and spirit of brotherhood lives on to this day. A permanent solution acceptable to both the sides will be bound out to solve the more than 50 years boundary dispute between the two states,” Jamir said in a release.
“It would bode well for both parties to listen to each other with mutual respect and engage in dialogue to resolve the issue sooner than later, leaving no room for opportunist adversaries to exploit and benefit out of the dragging border dispute,” the release said.
It expressed appreciation of the Centre`s `timely intervention` without which, the release said, the situation could have worsened, violence escalated and more lives lost leaving innocent people suffering for no fault of theirs besides causing huge economic loses.
Union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju`s concern and assurance of help to the two states were also appreciated.
“We are also please to learn of the chief ministers of Nagaland and Assam for sitting across the table and agreeing on resolving the long-pending border issue,” the association said.
The release expressed happiness that the economic blockade by Assam-based organisations has been lifted, the MCCI said the recent violence at the borders perpetrated by `non-state actors` was a serious violation of human rights, apart from causing huge monetary losses to the business community and the authorities concerned must ensure that it does not recur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill