Nagaland CM favours a state water policy
Kohima: Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio has pitched for drafting a "state water policy" taking into consideration the ground reality where the hilly terrains get abundant rain during half of the year but the people cry for potable water during the other half.
Inaugurating the head office building of irrigation and flood control department here Rio insisted that water management has become important and urged the departments
concerned to attach special attention to tap all available resources to meet the requirement particularly during lean period.
Lamenting that during his meeting with the union water resources minister the later complained to him that there was no proposal from the state to Centre towards water management, Rio said there was no need of any separate department to deal with it since existing departments have been enough for drafting water policy and its management.
The chief minister pointed out that Nagaland gets abundant rains during the monsoon but it faces acute water crisis in winter, lamenting "this goes to show the state reels under lack of water management."
Regretting that despite involvement of over 70 per cent of the populace in agri and allied sectors the state produces only 40 per cent of its food grains requirement, Rio
insisted on effective coordination between the departments of irrigation and agriculture for realising Nagaland`s stated Vision 2020 of attaining food sufficiency and security by the year 2020.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31