Nagaland CM Neiphiu Rio to be DAN candidate for LS seat
Kohima: Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio has been chosen as the candidate of Democratic Alliance of Nagaland`s for the lone Lok Sabha seat of the state.
DAN comprises Naga People`s Front (NPF), BJP and JD(U).
Briefing mediapersons after a closed door meeting of the DAN Coordination Committee meeting held at NPF central office here on Thursday, DANCC chairman Shurhozolie Liezietsu said DAN partners have unanimously decided to accept Rio as the consensus candidate.
He said following the approval of the NPF Working Committee to clear the candidature of Rio yesterday, the DAN Coordination Committee on Thursday held the final sitting endorsing the recommendation of the NPFWC.
"The DAN partners NPF, BJP and JD(U) are of the same opinion that Rio will be the right candidate to go to Delhi and represent the Naga people," said Shurhozelie, who is also the president of the regional party.
He said it has also been decided that the NPF will now approach other political parties, including the Opposition Congress and Independent MLAs to come in line with the decision of DANCC.
NCP is not a pre-poll partner of the NPF, but it is extending outside support to the government in the 60-member state Assembly while the Independent MLAs are also with NPF.
However, on the remarks of the state Congress president SI Jamir that if a consensus candidate is to send Delhi then there has to be meeting of all the political parties, Shurhozolie said "I will approach and request them to accept the consensus because Nagaland has only one seat and whoever goes will represent the Naga people and it will have greater impact in Delhi."
Asked whether sending Rio would hamper the party government in the state, he replied in negative stating that "even if Rio goes another leader will take over and we will see that the transition is smooth."
BJP Nagaland Unit president M Chuba and state unit JD(U) president Mhonjan Lotha also talked on similar lines expressing even as they were contemplating to field own candidate but now with the approval of the national leaders they have decided to support Rio as the consensus candidate of DAN.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America