Nagaland Cong candidate and MLA dies
Kohima: Congress candidate and MLA of Tuensang Sadar-II Assembly constituency, P Chuba, died here this morning, party sources said.
Chang died following a brief illness at a hospital in Kohima this morning, Nagaland Pradesh Congress Committee, general secretary (admn) Medokul Sophie told PTI.
Nagaland Assembly polls will be held on Saturday.
Meanwhile, Chief Electoral Officer of Nagaland, J Alam told PTI that as a result of the sudden death of the Congress candidate, polls for Tuensang Sadar-II seat will be withheld now.
He said Congress party would be given the opportunity to field another candidate within seven days and after that polling would be conducted in the constituency.
A funeral service was held at Chang Baptist Church, Kohima for the eternal peace of the departed soul. The last rites of Chang will be held in his village in Tuensang, Sophie said.
He had been Congress MLA from the constituency since 1998 and had been a minister during the then Congress regime.
The NPCC has also conveyed condolences to the bereaved families.
Ruling NPF candidate Elam Chang and Independent candidate Poyang Changkong Chang are the two other candidates for the constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?