Nagaland Congress candidate and MLA dies
Kohima: Congress candidate and MLA of Tuensang Sadar-II Assembly constituency, P Chuba, died here Friday morning, party sources said.
Chang died following a brief illness at a hospital in Kohima this morning, Nagaland Pradesh Congress Committee, general secretary (admn) Medokul Sophie said.
Nagaland Assembly polls will be held tomorrow.
Meanwhile, Chief Electoral Officer of Nagaland, J Alam said that as a result of the sudden death of the Congress candidate, polls for Tuensang Sadar-II seat will be withheld now.
He said Congress party would be given the opportunity to field another candidate within seven days and after that polling would be conducted in the constituency.
A funeral service was held at Chang Baptist Church, Kohima for the eternal peace of the departed soul. The last rites of Chang will be held in his village in Tuensang, Sophie said.
He had been Congress MLA from the constituency since 1998 and had been a minister during the then Congress regime.
The NPCC has also conveyed condolences to the bereaved families.
Ruling NPF candidate Elam Chang and Independent candidate Poyang Changkong Chang are the two other candidates for the constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption