Nagaland Congress leaders allege rigging during Lok Sabha polls
Kohima: Congress leaders met the Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath and submitted a complaint alleging large-scale proxy voting and poll rigging by the supporters of ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) during the April 9 Lok Sabha polls in Nagaland.
Congress candidate for for the lone Lok Sabha seat in Nagaland KV Pusa along with senior party members met Sampath yesterday and submitted a complaint along with videos, photographs, newspaper clippings alleging rigging by NFP.
He asked the commission to either nullify the April 9 poll or order re-poll in over 1000 polling stations, out of the total 2049, party sources said here today.
Over 40 polling stations recorded more than 100 percent voting while many others recorded more than 90 percent polling. Congress alleged the inflated turnout was because of proxy voting and rigging by supporters of CM Neiphiu Rio who had contested as NPF candidate.
Pusa further alleged the state`s record of 88.57 percent turnout was also bloated.
"Whether the Election Commission accepts our evidence or not, we are going to take up the issue for our future generation and the democratic process," he said.
The Nagaland Congress leaders will also call on party president Sonia Gandhi and brief her about the recently held elections in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’