Nagaland elections: 189 nominations found valid af
Kohima: A total of 189 nominations for Nagaland Assembly polls have been found valid after scrutiny, while 42 nominations which include stand-by candidates and some independents have been rejected, official sources said.
Out of the 189 nominees, only two are women candidates. While Rakhila is being set up by BJP in Tuensang Sadar-II against Elam Chang of NPF and sitting MLA P Chuba Chang of Congress, Dr Yangerla is fighting as independent candidate from Mokokchung Town against sitting MLA Apok Jamir of Congress and NPF candidate Rosemtong.
The political parties in fray are ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF), opposition Congress, BJP, NCP, RJD, JD(U), SP, United Nagaland Democratic Party and a sizable number of independents.
Candidature of political parties have not been rejected, sources said.
The final figure of the contending candidates would be notified by tomorrow evening after the end of the withdrawal period, they said.
Polls for the sixty seats of the assembly would be held on February 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Panel discussion over rights of Muslim women
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...