Nagaland elections: 189 nominations found valid af
Kohima: A total of 189 nominations for Nagaland Assembly polls have been found valid after scrutiny, while 42 nominations which include stand-by candidates and some independents have been rejected, official sources said.
Out of the 189 nominees, only two are women candidates. While Rakhila is being set up by BJP in Tuensang Sadar-II against Elam Chang of NPF and sitting MLA P Chuba Chang of Congress, Dr Yangerla is fighting as independent candidate from Mokokchung Town against sitting MLA Apok Jamir of Congress and NPF candidate Rosemtong.
The political parties in fray are ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF), opposition Congress, BJP, NCP, RJD, JD(U), SP, United Nagaland Democratic Party and a sizable number of independents.
Candidature of political parties have not been rejected, sources said.
The final figure of the contending candidates would be notified by tomorrow evening after the end of the withdrawal period, they said.
Polls for the sixty seats of the assembly would be held on February 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Disrupted sleeping habits may cause suicidal thoughts
- US aid to Pakistan shrinks amid mounting frustration over militants
- SC asks Parsvnath to refund home buyers; builder says it can't repay
- Supreme Court admits plea to declare triple talaq illegal; issues notice to Centre
- Philippine govt, Communist rebels agree on indefinite truce: Norway