Nagaland elections: 189 nominations found valid af
Kohima: A total of 189 nominations for Nagaland Assembly polls have been found valid after scrutiny, while 42 nominations which include stand-by candidates and some independents have been rejected, official sources said.
Out of the 189 nominees, only two are women candidates. While Rakhila is being set up by BJP in Tuensang Sadar-II against Elam Chang of NPF and sitting MLA P Chuba Chang of Congress, Dr Yangerla is fighting as independent candidate from Mokokchung Town against sitting MLA Apok Jamir of Congress and NPF candidate Rosemtong.
The political parties in fray are ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF), opposition Congress, BJP, NCP, RJD, JD(U), SP, United Nagaland Democratic Party and a sizable number of independents.
Candidature of political parties have not been rejected, sources said.
The final figure of the contending candidates would be notified by tomorrow evening after the end of the withdrawal period, they said.
Polls for the sixty seats of the assembly would be held on February 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city