Nagaland facing acute power crisis
Kohima: Nagaland is reeling under acute shortage of power supply with almost 8-10 hours of load shedding with the state Power department saying that the demand continues to highly exceed the availability resulting in an unstable situation.
Chief Engineer (Power) Er K. Miachieo in a statement said that, due to the huge gap between demand and availability from the allocated sources, the department has been purchasing an additional 20MW from Power exchange since December 2012 to mitigate the shortage, particularly in view of the recently concluded Assembly election and the ongoing High School and Higher Secondary level examinations.
However, he informed that the quantity of this additional purchase is not firm due to restrictions imposed by the North Eastern Regional Load Dispatch Centre (NERLDC) because of Transmission capacity limitation in the NER and prohibitive cost exceeding more than Rs 6.50 per unit at times in a day.
He said the actual availability during November to April peak hours (5 pm to 10 pm) was 60 MW while for off-peak hours (10 pm to 5 pm), it was just 40 MW.
This was in sharp contrast to the actual demand of 110 MW during peak hours and 80 MW during off-peak hours.
While giving the details of how power requirement of the state was met (totaling to 127.80 MW) from ten sources from both within and outside the state, the chief engineer said the allocation was based on the installed project capacity and actual availability during lean season which was only 20 to 40 per cent of the actual allocated share.
The Chief Engineer said the department is distributing the available power by means of coordinated load shedding throughout the State.
Nevertheless, in spite of the best efforts to maintain two hours ON?one hour OFF schedule, he explained that it becomes impossible to maintain the schedule very often since the demand highly exceeds the availability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- WATCH: Usain Bolt attempted javelin throw at Rio 2016 - His effort will shock you!
- Kareena Kapoor Khan opens up on her pregnancy, says she is proud of it!
- PHOTO (Inside): Not for the faint-hearted! Saina Nehwal shares image of her knee's broken bone
- 'Domestic airfares to decline at lower rate in Q2'
- US, Ukraine to conduct observation flights over Russia