Nagaland Governor thanks tribal bodies for help in peace move
Kohima: Nagaland Governor Nikhil Kumar on Tuesday said reports of factional hostilities among the Naga groups in places near eastern border of the state were causes of great concern amidst prevailing comparative peace in state.
In his address on the opening day of budget session,
Kumar thanked the tribal hoho (tribal apex body), NGOs and
civil societies for their cooperation to the government to
bring in peace during past three years but referred to reports
of clashes among Naga factions in eastern border pockets.
The governor appealed to all underground groups to
desist from hostile acts and utterances, which "could fritter
away the hard-earned relative peace."
He reitereated the efforts of the government, its
agencies, tribal hoho, churches, civil societies, especially
Forum for Naga Reconciliation (FNR), which contributed to the
"most peaceful year in Nagaland in recent memories" as
factional clashes and civilian casualties came down
Kumar said the state was committed to extend all
support to the on-going peace process for an honorable
settlement to the long drawn Naga political conflict.
Referring to general law and order situation, the
governor appreciated the roles of police and paramilitary
forces in containing crimes.
However, the presence of banned militant groups from
outside the state and their activities continued to pose a
challenge to the security agencies, especially in and around
Dimapur, he observed.
Kumar reminded the elected members of their
responsibilities in providing effective leadership that could
channelize people?s energy in `productive pursuits.`
"The state needs a leadership that inspires confidence
among the public for productive activities," Kumar told the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!