Nagaland home minister resigns
Kohima: Nagaland Home Minister Imkong L. Imchen has resigned from the ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) government, a party official said Tuesday.
Imchen put in his papers after the Election Commission authorities seized cash amounting to more than Rs.one crore and weapons from his vehicle Monday by troopers of Assam Rifles.
"I felt imperative to tender my resignation from the Council of Ministers with immediate effect, owning moral responsibility while holding public office, even though I have committed no wrong over the incident under the law," Imchen said in his resignation letter, which he submitted to Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio.
On the other hand, the opposition Congress has sought disqualification of Imchen from contesting the assembly election for violating the model code of conduct.
The offence committed by Imchen is a very serious crime under Arms Act and the case should be investigated by the National Investigation Agency.
On Monday, troopers of the Assam Rifles seized Rs 1.10 crore in cash, five pistols, two 7.65 mm calibre rifles and 140 round of 303 rifle ammunition from Imchen`s vehicle at Sathupang area in Wokha district while he was on his way to his Koridanga constituency in Mokokchung district.
This is the second big cash seizure in poll-bound Nagaland.
On Saturday, election officials seized Rs.one crore in cash from NPF candidate H. Nyemli Phom after his helicopter landed at the Assam Rifles helipad in Longleng district.
Phom, who is seeking re-election from Tamlu constituency, later claimed that the money was given to him by the party and was part of NPF funds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list