Nagaland honours 576 policemen who died in the line of duty
Kohima: Nagaland honoured 576 policemen, including five from the state, who died in the line of duty in the past one year, during the Police Commemoration Day Parade here today.
The history of the Police Commemoration Day dates back to October 21, 1959 when a CRPF patrol party of SI Karan Singh and 10 men guarding the national frontiers were ambushed and killed by Chinese forces at Hot Springs in Ladakh, state DGP Besesayo Kezo said.
The bravery and resultant sacrifices of the personnel fighting at an altitude of 16,000 feet in the extreme cold and against all odds was an epitome of the rarest of rare courage, he said.
Acknowledging the supreme sacrifices made by the 576 policemen during the year, Kezo said the day reminds us of the dangers and responsibilities involved in discharging the duty as a policeman.
Saying that the police not only managed traffic or guarded VIPs, he said, "We are prepared for any responsibility, including guarding the national frontier."
"Police service is a 24-hour job and everyday on the war front," he said.
The names of the 576 policemen, which include 11 DSPs, assistant commandants and officers of the higher ranks, and 565 non-gazetted officers and below, who died during the last one year were read out.
The list of five police personnel from Nagaland who died in the line of duty were Havildar Temsu Ao of 10th IR Bn, UBC Lalkholen Kuki of DEF Peren, UBC Bapeu Zeliang of DEF Peren, Constable R. Jenithung Lotha of 12th IR Bn and Chingbong Konyak of 12th IR Bn.
All battalions and dignitaries laid wreaths at the cenotaph in remembrance and honour of the policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday