Nagaland returning to normalcy
Kohima: Nagaland Home Minister Imkong Imchen Monday said the situation in the clash-hit area of Dimapur is slowly returning to normalcy after clashes between the Sumi and Angami Naga tribes.
"The situation in Dimapur is slowly returning to normal but the district administration is keeping a close watch to prevent miscreants taking advantage of the situation," Imchen told a news agency.
He said the army would continue to patrol the affected area to assist the district administration in maintaining law and order.
On Sunday, the army staged a flag march in Dimapur, the commercial hub of Nagaland a day after clashes between the Naga Sumi and Angami tribes.
The clashes between Angami and Sumi tribesmen erupted after one Kivika Assumi, accused of stealing a motorbike in Kohima, died in the custody of an Angami group Friday.
Kohima is the capital of Nagaland and the heartland of the Angami tribe while Dimapur, about 75 km south of Kohima, is a commercial hub, bordering Assam, and predominantly Sumi.
As news of Kivika`s death spread, a mob went on a rampage attacking people in Dimapur Saturday.
Ten people, including two women, were injured and public and private property, including a resort owned by Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio were attacked. Rio is an Angami tribesman.
Meanwhile, Nagaland Governor Nikhil Kumar has expressed concern over the law and order situation in Dimapur district following the death of Kivika in Kohima.
Kumar appealed to both the communities to maintain calm and peace in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre