Nagaland voters to use EPIC for first time in LS polls: CEO
Kohima: Voters in Nagaland will be using the Elector`s Photo Identity Card (EPIC) for the first time in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Addressing a news conference here today, Nagaland Chief Election Officer (CEO), Sentiyanger, said that as per the Election Commission (EC) announcement, voting for the lone Lok Sabha seat in the state would be held on April 9.
In keeping with the orders of EC, the state would see voters using EPIC for the first time for the upcoming polls, he said.
As per the qualifying date set by EC, Nagaland at present has 11,74,663 electors, of which 5,94,572 are male and 5,80,091 female voters.
However, till date election officials have collected photos of 11.61 lakh voters, he said. Despite repeated notifications, the remaining electors have failed to come forward to submit their photos, said Sentiyanger, adding that the photo ID cards would be issued in a phased manner starting with Dimapur, Kohima and Tening.
He revealed that there has been a decrease in the number of voters in the state as compared to the state elections of 2013 and the 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
Following the summary revision with January 1, 2014, as the qualifying date, the names of a total of 21,480 voters have been deleted from the existing list, he said. The names of electors who were registered in two places had been removed.
On the other hand, as compared to the 2009 general elections, which had 13,17,729 voters, the voters` list for the upcoming polls would have 1,43,066 electors less.
The notification for the vote in the state would be issued by March 15 while the last date for filing nominations is March 22, he said. Scrutiny would be conducted on March 24 with the last date for withdrawing candidature being March 26.
Counting for the general elections will take place on May 16 for the election process which should be completed before May 28, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues