Narendra Modi condemns attacks on North East students in Delhi
Silchar: BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi on Saturday condemned the recent attacks on students of the North East in Delhi and promised several schemes for them.
"The attack on the students cannot be tolerated and we will have to ensure their safety and security, with the first step in this direction being to set up hostels in major cities of the country," Modi said at a rally in Ramnagar here.
Hostels would be constructed not only in Delhi, but also in major cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai so that "my children from the North East do not face any problem when they go for interviews to these cities.
"Moreover, why do they have to spend so much money to go to these places for interviews when online examinations and interviews can be held. Nobody thinks on these lines because most of the MPs have no idea what the rest of the country is like," he said.
"The Prime Minister of the country is an MP from Assam, but what has he done to redress their grievances? I am not your MP or MLA, but there is no district of Assam that I have not visited and am aware of all your problems," he said.
Both Assam and Gujarat have rich reserves of gas and petroleum, but it is in Gujarat that there is a petroleum university where many Assamese students go to study, he said.
"I have dreams of setting up a petroleum university in Assam and an AIIMS-like institute in the North East," he added.
He also said a sports university can be set up in the North East as the country lags behind in the field of sports.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed