Narendra Modi condemns attacks on North East students in Delhi
Silchar: BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi on Saturday condemned the recent attacks on students of the North East in Delhi and promised several schemes for them.
"The attack on the students cannot be tolerated and we will have to ensure their safety and security, with the first step in this direction being to set up hostels in major cities of the country," Modi said at a rally in Ramnagar here.
Hostels would be constructed not only in Delhi, but also in major cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai so that "my children from the North East do not face any problem when they go for interviews to these cities.
"Moreover, why do they have to spend so much money to go to these places for interviews when online examinations and interviews can be held. Nobody thinks on these lines because most of the MPs have no idea what the rest of the country is like," he said.
"The Prime Minister of the country is an MP from Assam, but what has he done to redress their grievances? I am not your MP or MLA, but there is no district of Assam that I have not visited and am aware of all your problems," he said.
Both Assam and Gujarat have rich reserves of gas and petroleum, but it is in Gujarat that there is a petroleum university where many Assamese students go to study, he said.
"I have dreams of setting up a petroleum university in Assam and an AIIMS-like institute in the North East," he added.
He also said a sports university can be set up in the North East as the country lags behind in the field of sports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt