Narendra Modi condemns attacks on North East students in Delhi
Silchar: BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi on Saturday condemned the recent attacks on students of the North East in Delhi and promised several schemes for them.
"The attack on the students cannot be tolerated and we will have to ensure their safety and security, with the first step in this direction being to set up hostels in major cities of the country," Modi said at a rally in Ramnagar here.
Hostels would be constructed not only in Delhi, but also in major cities like Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai so that "my children from the North East do not face any problem when they go for interviews to these cities.
"Moreover, why do they have to spend so much money to go to these places for interviews when online examinations and interviews can be held. Nobody thinks on these lines because most of the MPs have no idea what the rest of the country is like," he said.
"The Prime Minister of the country is an MP from Assam, but what has he done to redress their grievances? I am not your MP or MLA, but there is no district of Assam that I have not visited and am aware of all your problems," he said.
Both Assam and Gujarat have rich reserves of gas and petroleum, but it is in Gujarat that there is a petroleum university where many Assamese students go to study, he said.
"I have dreams of setting up a petroleum university in Assam and an AIIMS-like institute in the North East," he added.
He also said a sports university can be set up in the North East as the country lags behind in the field of sports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Twist in BMC poll results as BJP emerges as `largest party`
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway