NCP supports Rio`s candidature from Nagaland for LS polls
Kohima: Nagaland unit of Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) has decided to extend full support to the candidature of Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio from the state`s lone seat in the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Neiphiu Rio is the consensus candidate of Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN), a pre-poll alliance comprising NPF, BJP and JD(U), towards which the four legislators of NCP have been extending outside support in the state Assembly.
The decision to this effect was taken at last night`s meeting of NCP leaders and legislators, NCP Legislature Party leader T M Lotha said here today.
He said the party and its legislators thoroughly deliberated on the prevailing political development following DAN`s unanimous decision to support the candidature of Rio for the LS elections in the state.
NCP expressed hope that as an MP, Rio would be able to play an effective role at the Centre, besides pushing the ongoing Naga peace process for finding an early solution.
Declaring Rio as the consensus candidate of DAN recently in Kohima, Chairman of the DAN Coordination Committee Shurhozolie Liezietsu had requested other political parties in the state to extend support to him in the interest of the Naga people.
However, Opposition Congress in the state has categorically refused to support Rio, stating that if at all the ruling NPF wanted all the parties to support a consensus candidate, a proper meeting of political parties in the state should have been held prior to declaration of the DAN consensus candidate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'