NCPCR advocates for multi-pronged strategy
Itanagar: National Commission for Protection of Child Right (NCPCR) Chairperson Shantha Sinha on Friday advocated for a multi-pronged strategy to change the mindset of the people in protecting the rights of the children in Arunachal Pradesh.
"We will have to collaborate with all stakeholders for taking up the issues of children rights violations in the state," she told a press conference here this morning.
Sinha made it clear that any complaints of violation of children rights in the state would be addressed and the commission would ensure for their time-bound redressal.
She informed that NCPCR had already constituted a separate NorthEast cell in its headquarters at Delhi to monitor and take up child right violation in the region.
Terming the Juvenile Justice system in Arunachal as `weak`, Sinha lamented that constitution of Juvenile Justice Board (JJB), which is mandatory as per Supreme Court order, remained only in papers in the state.
"We are planning to appoint a representative from the commission in Arunachal to take care of all violation of children rights and to report to the commission," she said.
Sinha during her interaction with government officials here yesterday expressed concern over the traditional child marriage practice still prevalent in some areas of the state.
"The prevailing customary laws and traditions in Arunachal Pradesh are creating confusion in protecting children rights," she said and advocated for mass awareness among the people to overcome this.
"We must not tolerate violence on our girl child through the social evil of child marriage that violates child rights," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31