NDFB rebel arrested, kidnap plan foiled
Shillong: A militant of the outlawed National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB) was arrested in Meghalaya on Thursday, foiling also a plot to abduct coal barons, police said.
Dhanan Basumatary alias Majo, the NDFB rebel, was nabbed by a police team comprising men from Meghalaya and Assam Police.
The arrest was made from Majo`s hideout in Shallang area in Meghalaya`s West Khasi Hills, bordering Bangladesh, a police spokesperson said.
"Basumatary came to Shallang with the sole intention of kidnapping some coal barons from the area. However, his plans have been foiled," Sylvester Nongtnger, the district police chief of West Khasi Hills, told a news agency.
Nongtnger said the NDFB rebel had previously worked as a coal miner in the area.
The coal trading season in Meghalaya has just commenced with the onset of dry winter months.
During winter, various rebel outfits and coal mafias become active in the coal mining areas when extortion demands running into lakhs of rupees are made on the coal traders.
Police have been exhorting them not to shell out the money but instead inform the law-enforcing authorities.
Meghalaya has a total coal reserve of 640 million tonnes; there are coal deposits in South Garo Hills, West Jaintia Hills and South West Khasi Hills districts of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof