NE: Cop arrested along with illegal drugs
Imphal: A Manipur police havildar has been arrested after illegal drugs worth around Rs three lakh were allegedly found in his possession in Imphal East district, police said today.
Acting on a tip-off, commandos of Imphal East district police searched Hatta area in the district and arrested Havildar Md Nazimuddin (29), attached to Imphal west district police commando unit, along with 12,034 illegal pseudoephedrine SP tablets while it was being unloaded from a vehicle yesterday.
They said the tablets were brought from Guwahati and the driver of the truck identified as Md Hasim was also arrested by the commandos.
During interrogation, Nazimuddin allegedly confessed to the police that he had smuggled illegal tablets to Manipur on two previous occasions, they said, adding that both were still in police custody for further interrogation.
Various social organisations including different women`s bodies have been demanding strict punishment to drug traffickers who frequently smuggle illegal tablets and narcotic drugs to Manipur as it was spoiling the lives of thousands of youths in the state.
Official reports said the organisations have also been organising sit-in protests against drug traffickers at different parts of the state in the past few months to build public opinion against the drug smugglers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'