NE insurgents shift base to Myanmar: AR DG
Shillong: A top Assam Rifles official Friday
said insurgents in North-East have apparently shifted bases to Myanmar after the crackdown in Bangladesh prompting the force to intensify vigil along that border.
"In the wake of the crackdown on Bangladesh soil, the
North-East insurgents have apparently shifted bases to
Myanmar," Assam Rifles Director General Lt Gen Rameshwar Roy
told reporters here.
The AR DG said due to the cross-border movement of
insurgents to and from Myanmar and continued smuggling
activities there was the need to intensify vigil along the
Indo-Myanmar border, which is manned by the force.
The dense forests in most parts make the border very
vulnerable, he said.
Turning to the domestic situation in north-east, Roy
said the region as a whole was looking peaceful despite
ceasefire violation by NSCN factions.
"The splits in the groups have only made the outfits
weaker and the level of disturbances" in the North-east has
gone down drastically, Lt Gen Roy said.
The only militancy-related issue left in the region now
was `extortion`, he said.
Citing figures, the DG said against the killing of
69 underground activists last year, this year just five have
been killed by the Assam Rifles.
"Apprehensions (rounding up) have gone down from
1132 to 610, while the surrenders have come down from 270 to
155," Lt Gen Roy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read