NE: Rickshaws come to aid of education for poor
Guwahati: To encourage education of underprivileged children, a school here in association with an NGO has distributed rickshaws among guardians of such children to support their education.
The project, undertaken by Parijat Academy, a school for the underprivileged, along with NGO Lakkshya Foundation, is aimed at making guardians self-reliant so as to be able to support their wards` education.
The rickshaws have been donated to selected guardians on condition that they will have to support at least two students, one their own child and another one.
Uttam Teron, founder member of the school, says the original plan is to provide modernised rickshaws to at least 30 guardians based on their financial background.
While the initial beneficiaries have been identified as daily wage earners, the others will be identified very soon, Teron says.
"We will monitor the activity of the guardians to ascertain that the ambitious project is really going to yield the desired result," he said.
The guardians would become the sole owners of the rickshaws after 18 months of operation if they showed sincerity in helping the students, he said.
The promoters of the project have tied up with "Deep Bahan-CRD rickshaw camp" of Guwahati to equip the rickshaws with modern features.
Some of the features the rickshaws are equipped with are stationary educational items to be of immediate use by students, bottled drinking water for purchase by passengers and daily newspapers.
Another novel feature of the rickshaws is that they are fitted with solar lamps and have radios with FM channels in addition to mobile charging points.
The foundation is also contemplating to install pre- recorded audio messages to welcome the passengers and spread awareness about education, Teron said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM