NE: Rickshaws come to aid of education for poor
Guwahati: To encourage education of underprivileged children, a school here in association with an NGO has distributed rickshaws among guardians of such children to support their education.
The project, undertaken by Parijat Academy, a school for the underprivileged, along with NGO Lakkshya Foundation, is aimed at making guardians self-reliant so as to be able to support their wards` education.
The rickshaws have been donated to selected guardians on condition that they will have to support at least two students, one their own child and another one.
Uttam Teron, founder member of the school, says the original plan is to provide modernised rickshaws to at least 30 guardians based on their financial background.
While the initial beneficiaries have been identified as daily wage earners, the others will be identified very soon, Teron says.
"We will monitor the activity of the guardians to ascertain that the ambitious project is really going to yield the desired result," he said.
The guardians would become the sole owners of the rickshaws after 18 months of operation if they showed sincerity in helping the students, he said.
The promoters of the project have tied up with "Deep Bahan-CRD rickshaw camp" of Guwahati to equip the rickshaws with modern features.
Some of the features the rickshaws are equipped with are stationary educational items to be of immediate use by students, bottled drinking water for purchase by passengers and daily newspapers.
Another novel feature of the rickshaws is that they are fitted with solar lamps and have radios with FM channels in addition to mobile charging points.
The foundation is also contemplating to install pre- recorded audio messages to welcome the passengers and spread awareness about education, Teron said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez