NE ultra outfits call for boycott of R Day
Guwahati: The anti-talk faction of ULFA
along with five insurgent outfits of the North East on Saturday
jointly called for a boycott of Republic Day celebrations and
a general `shut-down` on that day in the region.
A customary `mass boycott` was called by ULFA,
Coordination Committee of Manipur`s Seven Parties, Hynnewtrep
National Liberation Council (HNLC), Kamatapur Liberation
Organisation (KLO), National Liberation Front of Tripura
(NLFT) and Tripura Peoples Democratic Front (TPDF).
A 17 and a half hour general shut-down was also
called from 1 am to 5.30 pm on the day, said ULFA (Paresh
Baruah) assistant information and publicity secretary
Arunudoy Asom in an e-mail to PTI here.
Emergency measures, essential services, media and
religious activities were, however, exempted from the purview
of the shut down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Stick to my statement that Salman Khan killed Chinkara, says 'missing' driver
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US