NE ultra outfits call for boycott of R Day
Guwahati: The anti-talk faction of ULFA
along with five insurgent outfits of the North East on Saturday
jointly called for a boycott of Republic Day celebrations and
a general `shut-down` on that day in the region.
A customary `mass boycott` was called by ULFA,
Coordination Committee of Manipur`s Seven Parties, Hynnewtrep
National Liberation Council (HNLC), Kamatapur Liberation
Organisation (KLO), National Liberation Front of Tripura
(NLFT) and Tripura Peoples Democratic Front (TPDF).
A 17 and a half hour general shut-down was also
called from 1 am to 5.30 pm on the day, said ULFA (Paresh
Baruah) assistant information and publicity secretary
Arunudoy Asom in an e-mail to PTI here.
Emergency measures, essential services, media and
religious activities were, however, exempted from the purview
of the shut down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!