NE ultra outfits call for boycott of R Day
Guwahati: The anti-talk faction of ULFA
along with five insurgent outfits of the North East on Saturday
jointly called for a boycott of Republic Day celebrations and
a general `shut-down` on that day in the region.
A customary `mass boycott` was called by ULFA,
Coordination Committee of Manipur`s Seven Parties, Hynnewtrep
National Liberation Council (HNLC), Kamatapur Liberation
Organisation (KLO), National Liberation Front of Tripura
(NLFT) and Tripura Peoples Democratic Front (TPDF).
A 17 and a half hour general shut-down was also
called from 1 am to 5.30 pm on the day, said ULFA (Paresh
Baruah) assistant information and publicity secretary
Arunudoy Asom in an e-mail to PTI here.
Emergency measures, essential services, media and
religious activities were, however, exempted from the purview
of the shut down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today