NE ultra outfits call for boycott of R Day
Guwahati: The anti-talk faction of ULFA
along with five insurgent outfits of the North East on Saturday
jointly called for a boycott of Republic Day celebrations and
a general `shut-down` on that day in the region.
A customary `mass boycott` was called by ULFA,
Coordination Committee of Manipur`s Seven Parties, Hynnewtrep
National Liberation Council (HNLC), Kamatapur Liberation
Organisation (KLO), National Liberation Front of Tripura
(NLFT) and Tripura Peoples Democratic Front (TPDF).
A 17 and a half hour general shut-down was also
called from 1 am to 5.30 pm on the day, said ULFA (Paresh
Baruah) assistant information and publicity secretary
Arunudoy Asom in an e-mail to PTI here.
Emergency measures, essential services, media and
religious activities were, however, exempted from the purview
of the shut down.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?