NEC approves floodlights for JN stadium, Shillong
Shillong: The North Eastern Council has
approved funding for construction of Rs 5-crore floodlighting
system at J N Stadium in Shillong as part of the council`s
scheme for promoting sporting activities in the region.
"The NEC has sanctioned Rs 5 crore to install
floodlighting system and the first installment of Rs 1.8 crore
will be released soon," NEC officials said.
The floodlighting system will be an additional boost
to football in the state as the government had recently
completed laying of artificial turf at the stadium for
NEC has expressed its disapproval for getting DPRs
very late from Meghalaya government.
While NEC had asked for DPR from the government since
2010, the same was submitted only recently which resulted in
late sanctioning of the project, the official said.
"In fact, we got DPR only in December and a
clarification on some of the items quoted by January second
week," the official said.
Meghalaya which is dominating football scenario in NE,
has two astro-turf football pitches, one sponsored by FIFA and
the other funded by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 50 seats, BJP in 32; big prestige battle for both parties
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, Thane; BJP leading in Pune, Nagpur, Solapur, Akola