NEEPCO says its dam has not caused Assam flood
Shillong: The state-run North Eastern Electric Power Corporation (NEEPCO) Tuesday rubbished allegations that its Ranganadi Hydro-Electric project in Arunachal Pradesh was responsible for the current floods in Assam.
"The last time water was released from the dam was on May
17 when the water crossed the full reservoir level of 567-m
mark. Yesterday, water level in the reservoir was 563.4 m," a
NEEPCO official said.
The official rubbished allegations by locals in the media
that excess water release from the 405 MW dam has caused the
recent floods in Lakhimpur district of Assam.
"Whenever there is excess water, it is released in a
controlled manner and that too after due intimation to the
administration in Assam," he said.
In fact, he said, the NEEPCO has rather reduced the
extend of flood and damage by maintaining the full reservoir
level (567 m) by regulating the discharge in controlled manner
and diverting 160 cusec of water for power generation through
"The Ranganadi project in Arunachal Pradesh is a
run-of-river scheme with a very small pondage. The natural
flood occurring in the upstream of the project cannot be
absorbed fully by the small reservoir," the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day