New district in Arunachal
Longding: The long cherished demand of over 50,000 people of the Wancho community residing in Longding sub-division was on Monday fulfilled with the
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki formally declaring it as the 17th district of the state.
Carved out of trouble-torned Tirap district, the nascent district with population of 51,022 covers an area of 1,192 sq km and touches Myanmar in its eastern border.
With its headquarters at Longding, the district comprises four principal towns and 67 villages including nine administrative circle headquarters.
The creation of the new district was approved by the state cabinet under the then Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu on August 7, 2009 while the state assembly passed the concerned bill on September 26 last year under the Jarbm Gamlin ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Donald Trump was 'being sarcastic' over Russia hacking comments
- Full text of US President Barack Obama's speech at Democratic convention
- Tim Kaine accepts Democratic nomination for VP
- Decoded! 5 exciting details of your PAN number
- World Hepatitis Day: 52 million Indians suffer from chronic hepatitis