New district in Arunachal
Longding: The long cherished demand of over 50,000 people of the Wancho community residing in Longding sub-division was on Monday fulfilled with the
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki formally declaring it as the 17th district of the state.
Carved out of trouble-torned Tirap district, the nascent district with population of 51,022 covers an area of 1,192 sq km and touches Myanmar in its eastern border.
With its headquarters at Longding, the district comprises four principal towns and 67 villages including nine administrative circle headquarters.
The creation of the new district was approved by the state cabinet under the then Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu on August 7, 2009 while the state assembly passed the concerned bill on September 26 last year under the Jarbm Gamlin ministry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside