New platform to be floated by Tripura PCC gen secy
Agartala: Tripura Pragatishil Gramin Vikash Congress (TPGVC) will be floated by Tripura PCC general secretary Subal Bhowmick following the party`s debacle in the February 14 state Assembly polls.
"It is not a split of Congress. It is a platform to strengthen the party, which can launch effective movements against the Left Front government. Anti-Left parties can join it," Bhowmick told reporters here Monday.
He said the decision on TPGVC was taken at a convention of Congress leaders and workers here yesterday to review the party`s debacle in the Assembly polls, which saw the Left Front government headed by Manik Sarkar return to power for the fourth consecutive time.
Criticising TPCC president Sudip Roy Burman and former Leader of the Opposition Ratan Lal Nath for their failure to steer the party to power, Bhowmick, who was himself defeated in Sonamura seat, claimed that many other defeated Congress candidates, including Jawahar Saha and former state Congress leaders had participated in the convention.
"We will start negotiations with senior-most Congress leaders like Ratan Chakraborty and others who have been mistreated by Barman and Nath. After that, the state-level organisation will be formed and names of its office-bearers will be announced after March 24."
He also alleged that AICC general secretary and in-charge of Tripura Luizinho Falerio had always indulged Burman and Nath despite being alerted about the problems within the party`s state unit.
When contacted, TPCC president Sudip Roy Burman said he was informed of the development and will discuss the matter at the appropriate party forum.
"Whether such an organisation can exist within our party is not known to me. So, the matter will be discussed and appropriate actions will be initiated," Burman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites