New platform to be floated by Tripura PCC gen secy
Agartala: Tripura Pragatishil Gramin Vikash Congress (TPGVC) will be floated by Tripura PCC general secretary Subal Bhowmick following the party`s debacle in the February 14 state Assembly polls.
"It is not a split of Congress. It is a platform to strengthen the party, which can launch effective movements against the Left Front government. Anti-Left parties can join it," Bhowmick told reporters here Monday.
He said the decision on TPGVC was taken at a convention of Congress leaders and workers here yesterday to review the party`s debacle in the Assembly polls, which saw the Left Front government headed by Manik Sarkar return to power for the fourth consecutive time.
Criticising TPCC president Sudip Roy Burman and former Leader of the Opposition Ratan Lal Nath for their failure to steer the party to power, Bhowmick, who was himself defeated in Sonamura seat, claimed that many other defeated Congress candidates, including Jawahar Saha and former state Congress leaders had participated in the convention.
"We will start negotiations with senior-most Congress leaders like Ratan Chakraborty and others who have been mistreated by Barman and Nath. After that, the state-level organisation will be formed and names of its office-bearers will be announced after March 24."
He also alleged that AICC general secretary and in-charge of Tripura Luizinho Falerio had always indulged Burman and Nath despite being alerted about the problems within the party`s state unit.
When contacted, TPCC president Sudip Roy Burman said he was informed of the development and will discuss the matter at the appropriate party forum.
"Whether such an organisation can exist within our party is not known to me. So, the matter will be discussed and appropriate actions will be initiated," Burman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Curfew, restrictions continue in Kashmir Valley for 51st day
- Is Ramdev coming up with world-class varsity near Delhi like University of Houston?
- Pakistan has started behaving like an enemy: JD(U)
- Donald Trump links death of NBA star's cousin to black vote
- Watch: Sushant Singh Rajput spills romance in 'Kaun Tujhe' from 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'