New Raj Bhavan to be built in Agartala
Agartala: Puspavanta palace, which is currently being used as Raj Bhavan, would be renovated on a priority basis and foundation for a new Rajbhavan would be laid in the new capital complex, official sources said Friday.
Governor D Y Patil will lay the foundation stone for the new Raj Bhavan adjacent to the Civil Secretariat here on May 8.
Besides Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and his cabinet colleagues, former Governor K M Seth and Siddheshwar Prasad will also remain present in the foundation laying Ceremony.
The Mackintosh Burn Construction Company has been assigned to build the two-storied building with an estimated cost of Rs 30 crore. The building is scheduled to be completed within next two and half years.
The Left Front in Tripura has decided to renovate the Puspavanta palace, as Governor D Y Patil is keen to quit this "endangered building" vulnerable to earthquakes.
"King Birendra Kishore Manikya (1909-1923) had built the Puspavanta palace in 1916 in accordance with the then architectural methods. Hence, it could not be made earthquake-resistance," Chief Engineer, Sunil Bhowmik said.
"This has been identified as a heritage building not only because of its association with royalty but also because poet Rabindra Nath Tagore and other contemporary great personalities had stayed in Puspavanta palace as royal guests," Bhowmik said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview