New rural housing programme to be launched: PM
Aizawl: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on Saturday said that a new housing scheme would be launched to address the problem of housing in rural areas.
Addressing an election rally here, Singh said he understood that there was an acute housing problem in the rural areas of the state and that a rural housing scheme would be started.
Asking Mizo youths to vote for the Congress, he said that efforts to promote sports would be taken further forward so that sportsmen and sportswomen had a bright future and would do India proud in international tournaments.
"Efforts will be made to achieve 100 per cent enrolment rate at the elementary level of education to reduce the drop-out rate and to strengthen computer education in schools," the Prime Minister promised.
He said that if the people of Mizoram chose the Congress to form the next government, the Centre would continue emphasis on infrastructure development which was critical to the progress of the state.
The Congress, if returned to power, would implement the 210 MW Tuivai Hydro-electric power project during the 12th plan period, he said.
He also spoke about endeavour to provide rail link to Aizawl and completion of the Kaladan Multi Modal Transit Transport Project linking the state with Sittwe port in Myanmar, besides the 60-MW Tuirial Hydro Power Project by next year and 2015 respectively.
The Prime Minister`s election campaign function was chaired by Rev Lalramliana Pachuau, President of the Mizoram People`s Forum, the Church-sponsored election watchdog, and attended by Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla, AICC General Secretary Luizinho Faleiro, Lok Sabha MP CL Ruala, Congress candidates from Aizawl city limits and ruling party workers.
Earlier, Singh arrived at the venue by helicopter from the Lengpui Airport near Aizawl and returned to Delhi after the programme.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends