New waterways possible between India and B`desh: Study
Agartala: New waterways between India and Bangladesh will be possible by connecting two rivers of Tripura with as many rivers of Bangladesh, according to a study by the Rail India Technical and Economic Services.
RITES has submitted the Detail Project Report (DPR) after conducting feasibility study to create new inland water transport between the Gomati and the Howrah rivers in the state with the Meghna and the Titas rivers of the neighbouring country, Secretary of Transport Department Kishore Ambuly said today.
"The rivers will have navigation facilities for smooth movement of barges," he said.
The North Eastern Council (NEC) had provided funds for preparing the DPR for development of waterways in north eastern part of the country.
The project report would be submitted to the union ministry of shipping and other ministries concerned to formally initiate the process to open new waterway between two the two neighbours.
RITES had conducted a preliminary feasibility study early this year.
The state government had submitted a proposal to the central government for declaring the Gomti river as a national waterway keeping in view the potential of linkage with inland waterways of Bangladesh, he said.
Indian and Bangladeshi waterways connect West Bengal and Assam and the inland waterways Authority of India (IWAI) and Bangladesh Inland water Transport Authority (BIWTA) are operating vessels on these routes, official sources said.
The two neighbours share 2,979km of land border and 1,116km of riverine boundary and also share 54 rivers, including eight rivers flowing from Tripura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm