New Year bonanza for NE: Govt lifts curb on foreign tourists
New Delhi: In a New Year bonanza for
Nagaland, Manipur and Mizoram, the Centre has lifted a
decades-old rules of obtaining permission by any foreigner
visiting the three north-eastern states.
"The government has decided to exclude Manipur, Mizoram
and Nagaland from the Protected Area regime notified under the
Foreigners (Protected Areas) Order 1958, initially for a
period of one year," a Home Ministry statement said.
However, all foreigners visiting these states will have to
register themselves with the Foreigners Registration Officer
(FRO) of the district they visit within 24 hours of their
The order will come into effect from the new year day. The
restriction was in force since pre-independence days.
Now Arunachal Pradesh is the only state left in the
Northeast where foreigners are required to take prior
permission before any visit.
Citizens of some specified countries, including Pakistan
and China, would, however, continue to require prior approval
of the Ministry of Home Affairs before their visit to these
Indian diplomatic missions have also been authorised to
issue `Missionary Visa` to foreign missionaries visiting these
three states as per the extant guidelines of the government.
These changes will ease the difficulties being faced by
foreigners to visit Manipur, Mizoram and Nagaland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble