Newspaper owner held guilty in murder case in Agartala
Agartala: A newspaper owner was on Sunday convicted by a court for killing his manager in the office premises on May 19 last year.
Additional and Session Judge of West Tripura district Kripankar Chakrabarty convicted Sushil Choudhury, the owner and editor of Dainik Ganadoot under sections 302 (murder) and 120(B) (criminal conspiracy) of IPC.
The punishment would be announced on July 17.
Manager of the newspaper, Ranjit Choudhury, proof reader Sujit Bhattacharjee and driver Balaram Ghosh were killed inside the office premises at Palace Compound here.
Police after investigation stated that no outsider was involved in the murders.
According to the prosecution, the manager had threatened to expose illegal activities of the owner, including in brokering of land.
The charge sheet stated that the owner conspired with the driver to kill the manager and the two strangled and stabbed him during the lunch break.
Proof reader Sujit Bhattacharjee, hearing the commotion, rushed to the manager`s office on the first floor when he was confronted by the knife-wielding driver. The two of them fought and stabbed each other.
The newspaper owner was also accused of not calling for medical help immediately. The delay resulted in excessive blood loss and the death of the proof reader and driver.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her