Newspapers fail to hit the stands in Manipur
Imphal: Newspapers on Monday failed to hit the stands in Manipur as media houses and scribes protested against the diktat of militants who have threatened them with dire consequences for disobeying their orders.
"We did not produce today`s edition of papers in protest against the attack on the house of editor of popular daily SANALEIBAK and president of the All Manipur Journalists` Union (AMWJU) A. Mobi at Thongju area in Imphal west district on Saturday night," sources in media houses said.
Appealing to all including militants, the media houses said they should be allowed to work freely so that the daily editions could be published uninterruptedly to serve the public interest.
An AMWJU spokesman said media in Manipur was unable to work freely due to intervention from various quarters including militants and other "powerful and unwanted quarters".
The spokesman told reporters that intervention in the smooth functioning of media persons and media houses by various militant groups had led to frequent non-publication of dailies and asked how could media persons work under the diktat of militants.
AMWJU president Mobi`s house was attacked by exploding a powerful grenade by suspected militants on Saturday night but no casualty was reported.
State Home Minister Gaikhangam had earlier said that steps had been taken to protect mediapersons and media houses by deploying security and police personnel at places near media houses in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city