Nexus between forest guards and poachers in KNP rhino poaching
Golaghat: A nexus between a
section of forest guards and poachers involved in rhino
poaching in Kaziranga National Park has come to light with
the arrest of seven persons, including a retired forest guard,
today, police sources said.
Golaghat Superintendent of Police Madan Chetia said
that a joint operation was launched in Bokakhat area and
three persons travelling with a rhino horn to Dimapur in
neighbouring Nagaland were apprehended.
Based on their interrogation four others, including
a retired forest guard, were apprehended from two villages.
Later, the joint team of police and forest personnel
raided the residence of another forest guard, Tarun Ganak, and
recovered Rs 2.97 lakh though he managed to escape.
Ganak is a muster-roll worker in the forest department
and is deployed at Kohora range of the Park.
A rhino horn, a vehicle and Rs 3.95 lakh was seized
from the poachers.
The poachers have been identified as Majibur Rahman,
Manik Ali, Bijan Das, Anant Baruah, Lakhi Barua and Nabi
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why